The more we blog about WeChat the more questions we get! The latest one is on how to add a payment method to your WeChat account. Depending on where you are located, the answer may vary.
If you are located in North America, what we have seen is that you are able to add a credit card to your personal WeChat account to pay for goods/services. If you have tried to purchase services from China-based web platforms, they will prompt you to scan the QR code to pay.
Take for example my WeChat account, I have a VISA card loaded onto there as a payment method. For those who reside in China and have a China bank account, they are able to tie their bank account to their WeChat wallet, making it extremely easy for them to make purchases anywhere in the big cities in China. Over 300,000 companies accept WeChat payment, so you can leave home with just your phone and do just fine. Who needs a wallet anyway?
Here is your step-by-step guide to adding a payment method:
- Go to the bottom menu and tap on the section titled 'Me'. You will see your photo and under that a line item that says 'Wallet'.
- Tap on the 'Wallet' item and it will take you to the Wallet screen (shown on the right). Where it shows you the balance (if you have a bank account of if you have received WeChat 'red pockets' from friends previously).
- If you reside in North America and do not have a China bank account, you can tap on 'Card' on the top left to Add a Card.
- You will be asked to set up a 'payment password' for security purposes.
- After this you will be asked to fill in the details of your credit card to add it to your WeChat
- You are done! You can now pay for items using WeChat Pay!